Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spring Is Here!

It has consistently been in the seventies and eighties here in the ATX, and I could not be happier. Seriously, I love cold weather, but spring was being a tease last week.

So the hotter temperatures have definitely brought out more people on bike, which is always nice. It also makes my sweat glands work a little harder.

Since the hot weather is something that people cite as a reason not to bike, I'm thinking some ways to alleviate the sweaty feelings are in order. Here's what I have so far.

I started showering in the morning. Sweat itself doesn't smell, its the interaction with bacteria that causes that funky smell. I've found this to work. I may be a little sweaty, but I don't smell.

Sunglasses and perhaps a hat. Today it was pretty cloudy, so the ride was pleasant. However, when the sun came out I felt like I was sweating more, even if the temperature didn't really change. I bought a floppy hat, I haven't used it yet but hopefully it'll keep me cool.

Backless tank tops. Sorry guys this one is for the girls. I find I sweat the most on my upper back. One way to make it a non issue is to wear a tank top with skinny straps. Your skin is exposed to the air making you cooler.

Not sitting on your bike seat all the time. I've found the sweaty feeling in the crotch area is very unpleasant. I rode from UT last night and I found a faint sweat stain on the back of my dress. Ew. Remember your privates like a little breeze too.

Ride at night. This might seem like a no brainer, but in discussions of making biking more popular I feel we tend to focus on commuting to work. That is fine and all but people do go to other places. In fact, I would say we should start people on riding to the grocery store, mall, movies. Their livelihood isn't on the line (don't want to get to work late!) and they ride at times when traffic is less congested. Back to the sweat discussion. Sun isn't out, its a little cooler, for the most part. Yesterday when I was out at night, it was in the sixties and windy. Very nice temps.

I've resigned myself to the fact that at 3 in the afternoon in 100 degree weather everyone is going to sweat. I don't really know what to do about that, other than someone, somewhere, needs to figure out how to make an A/C unit that attaches to your handlebars. Perhaps a solar powered, detachable air conditioner is what's needed to make Americans get out on their bikes. I would buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment