Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Florida Trip

I traveled to Florida for Spring Break, and managed to capture some shots of bicycles while there. I didn't get half of the bicycles I spotted in Key West or Miami, but that is a good thing!

Beautiful bike. I loved the beach cruisers in Key West, so many pretty colors!

My bike. It was clunky and squeaked.

South Beach. In the parade known as Ocean Drive, a bicycle  is a welcome way to get around.

JAX Beach. Saw quite a few people getting around by bike.

Chillin'

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people on bikes in Florida. Key West had a separated infrastructure that connected all the keys and would have made for a very pleasant ride. Key West itself is a small island, and so anything you need can't be that far away. Of course, it was still car clogged. When my friends and I were going to dinner, the hotel desk worker advised us to drive to the restaurant we wanted because it was too far to walk. It was a trek, but no more than a mile and a half and completely doable. Weird how the car skews our perception of distance.

The ride around the island was great, besides my squeaky bike. The honks from other road users was annoying, it was at a level I was definitely not used to and made an otherwise beautiful ride irritating.

Miami too had several bike lanes, and I saw quite a few people on bikes and people riding around. I wish I could have gotten a shot of two ladies on one bike, you never see that in the U.S. I was surprised at the number of bikes on the road, to me Miami is all excess and fast cars. Granted, its probably the same modal share as Austin, but the roads aren't completely devoted to cars like I imagined. Florida drivers are crazy, and not sure I'd want to live there, but if I did, I'd want a bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment