Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 20, 2013

Fox News Is On the Case

Austin PD conducted a "sting" of sorts in downtown hoping to nab drivers who do not abide by the 3 foot rule. Designed to put the responsibility of safety on the driver, it is probably not well known outside of those it is meant to protect.

Now they monitored Cesar Chavez, which in terms of bicycle infrastructure and safety, is probably the worst street you can think of to cycle down. Fast traffic moves to I-35 and S. Congress, with no shoulder and several intersections. I avoid that area. On the one hand, I guess it could make sense to go for the most dangerous situations first. On the other hand, wouldn't it make more sense to go to the places people bike the most and make sure those are as safe as possible?

Now to BE FAIR, APD says they will conduct bicycle rider stings in the summer. Hmm, I better watch my Idaho stops and riding on the sidewalk ooohh I could kill someone! No but really, they are going on about how likely it is you will die in a traffic accident, and I can't remember the last time a cyclist ran over and killed someone. Anyone, anyone? Waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment